Simpson Desert Review

Submitted: Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:14
ThreadID: 17297 Views:2827 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This is more of a General info for anyone gathering info, rather than a question. We have just done The Birdsville and Strezlecki track. Here are some general comments from the trip.
1. Don't take lat/long maps. This may cause some comments but lets be honest. They don't have topographical info and when in the desert, every hill is important when working out where to go. A fork in an outback track which wasn't marked on the maps 10 years ago is much easier to pick on a grid reference than lat/long.

2. I travelled with Cooper ST's and my friends with Desert Duelers. Though they have now seen better days we covered over 3000km's with no flats or punctures. Just lower the tyre pressure and drive for the conditions.

3. The road out to Burkes dig tree is shocking with large rocks the whole way. This is a bit of a loop track but we thought it would be worse on the back end of it (return to town) as it is marked as a staggered line on the map as opposed to a solid line for the track we took. We later found out that the back loop of the road was in better condition. Best to check with the locals before going out there.

4. Big Red is not on the main road but rather a km or two off to the right on a side track. We spent about 1hr on the "false" track then found the real one later so of course we had to spend more time there. As it's coming to the end of tourist time now the sand was very very soft and difficult to get up. Best to lower tyre pressure to about 12-15psi.

5. Coongie Lakes is a beautiful spot and worth the visit. Try to stay the night out there rather than have a rush day trip there. The track is very good going over a clay surface with sand. Very easy. Allow 1.5hrs to get there (one way).

6. Flies are shocking. Take a fly net for your head. Always cook after dark when the flies are gone.

7. We found that any trip we planned always took twice as long. By the time you stop for lunch and of course drive for the conditions we way under estimated the time from one place to another.

8. Apart from tyres the most important upgrade is suspension. We did Gawler Ranges on old shockers and got shaken to bits. When we got back I got TJM XGS put on. The difference in ride was unbelievable. My mate got shaken to bits and damage done to various parts of his car. We walked away with no problems on the GQ patrol. The deciding factor for me was when I read in a magazine that the purchase price of a good suspension kit will save it's initial cost plus more in repairs on the car. I firmly believe this now.

9. Don't go up (or down!) there without a fridge. Great for morale to pull out a cold coke or juice during the day and a cold beer at night.

10. Sand flags, I believe, are important up there. Not just on the dunes as some of the main roads (going out to Camerons Corner) rolls over the dunes so it's impossible to see what is coming.

11. Communications. I took my portable Mortorold CB. I did not have any joy with calling the homesteads, or other vehicles. Either they did not want to answer or they did not have radios. Even on scan is was dead quiet. Very dissapointed with this part of the trip as I consider communications one of the most important parts of going away. My mate does not have a radio and this was difficult when trying to find places for lunch etc.

Well thats about it. Hope this helps as it was in this forum where I got heaps of info.

Cheers,

Gossy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:29

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:29
Gossy, Just one comment on your points of view, re communications.
CB's are now rarely used by travellers and they mostly use UHF. That may account for your lack of ability to contact other travellers. I personally would have thought that convoy communications would be vital for such a journey such as you have undertaken.
AnswerID: 81590

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:38

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:38
yes I agree on the veh to veh comms. Unfortuantly I can't tell him to spend his money so I just have to live with it!
AnswerID: 81591

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:57

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 16:57
Gossy I have a few mates that are similar, that's why the kids have a set of cheap handhelds that they have a wonderful time with and when you get ones of these mates that won't go and buy a radio you lend him one of your $30 radios for the day/trip. Works fine car to car, and there is nothing like traveling with good car to car comms.
FollowupID: 340805

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 17:12

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 17:12
Gossy,

How long ago was you on the Coongie Lakes track?

Was there a couple of weeks ago and the track was shocking.
Very corrugated in sections. The Road Trains make regular visits out there apparently shifting cattle around.

Spat the dummy about 50 K's out and went back to the Innamincka Pub for some quiet ones. (Coopers of course)
Then I went back to camp at Cullyamurra Waterhole and damaged a bottle of red.
(Actually I was a bit concerned about the crazed back window in my Jack, but thats another story).

A couple of travellers told me the other 50 K's or so that I didn't travel on were worse.

Some magic country up there all the same. Will go back for sure.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 81594

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 21:47

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 21:47
I was out at Coongie about a month ago and the track was fine. Could cruise up to 100kmh in places. If there were corrugations I flew over the top of them. We struck the big dust storm out there so the day was unpleasant but next time it should be better.
FollowupID: 340849

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 17:27

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 17:27
Must have been good timing on our behalf. We were there about 4 days ago now. Smooth as a baby's bottom!
AnswerID: 81597

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 21:52

Monday, Oct 25, 2004 at 21:52
Mate I cannot believe that you went out in to the sticks with CB radio......Man thats dinosaur stuff. If you can aford a 4x4 you can afford a UHF radio at least. As for your mate who refuses to get communications....I'd leave him at home next time

Big Red old crossing is 3km to the north of Little Red(Main track out there). I though everybody knew this?
AnswerID: 81655

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:03

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:03
I was obviously misinformed by the radio shop I went to. This "civilian" communications stuff is new to me. I spent 11 yrs in the the Corp of Signals in the Army so I'm ok with HF, VHF etc etc so I am still learning with what frequency bands you guys use. Put it down as a learning curve in life!
As for big red. There was 4 other cars on the "fake" one and they didn't know either. We broke the bad news to them the next morning in the caravan park. I guess if you have never been out there before then you don't know. The locals didn't say anything either which doesn't help! Oh well, we found it in the end which is the main thing.
AnswerID: 81694

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 18:40

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2004 at 18:40
Straight to the point - good brief report - Thanks

gaz
AnswerID: 81759

Sponsored Links